Monday, May 10, 2010

Top 50 Games - 49. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

I don't care how much you adore or despise Dragon Ball Z: Akira Toriyama draws some damn good character designs. When translated into glorious, cel-shaded 3D, his whimsical direction is in fact so enjoyably enticing that I forget I'm partaking in a random battle as a nameless mute hero. Dragon Quest is the old-school antithesis to Final Fantasy's bombastic futurism, and so Journey of the Cursed King is both refreshing and frustrating. The random battle rate is high, and I hate random battles. Oh God I hate them. But Akira Toriyama's characters, combined with enchanting music and a huge, beautiful world, save the day. While I'm all for progress and blazing ahead in a genre that clings so needlessly to outdated traditions, there will always be a place for humor, modesty, whimsy, and cheese-based attacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment