Sunday, May 16, 2010

Top 50 Games - 35. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past


Now THIS game is a masterpiece. I should probably be subject to every medieval method of torture for putting this game so "low" on my list. Remember, though, that I was born the year that A Link To The Past was released, and so traversing the Dark World as a pink bunny in a green tunic is not permanently impressed in my brain from childhood. Nevertheless, I, as an appreciator of the medium, can fully understand that this item positively embodies the meaning of the word 'timeless.' It's hard to say whether or not this is the greatest Zelda installment, but anyone who argues so probably can't be in the wrong. The music, the world layout, the novel dual-universe concept, the slick and colorful graphics, the polished controls, the variety of weapons and items, the dungeons, their devious puzzles and looming boss monsters, the interesting mythology... If I had to name 10 perfect games, A Link To The Past would be one of them. This is truly Nintendo at the peak of their creative powers, like the Beatles during the recording of Revolver. God I wish I were Chris Houlihan...

No comments:

Post a Comment